Sunday, 9 February 2014

You know.....

....when I said I'd get back in the habit of writing every day?  I lied.
Let's see, a little catch up.
Last Thursday we had a Brother's meeting about plans for our opening to the general public in 2016.
This is in conjunction with the Museum of London so one of their leading curators came along to start talking about the exhibition and tour ideas.
I'm on the Brother's committee related to the redevelopment and you'd be surprised to hear I am full of ideas!  How about this:


















Friday afternoon brainstormed with a young, talented friend about her budding career as an illustrator/designer and I arranged for her to exhibit in a hot new coffee house venue.
In the evening there was singing and meeting new chums at the ShowOff open mic.



















Last night, aftering seeing the brilliant new film, The Invisible Woman,  another wonderful singing venue (yes I am an open mic junkie) the Palm Tree pub in the middle of Mile end Park.















Rather special setting as you can see.  The pub is located all on its own, in the middle of what was once terraced housing, but thanks to enemy bombs in the 1940's, is now in the middle of a park next to the Regent's Canal.
After a lazy day today I have just spent a lovely evening with two of my brothers, Peter and Stephen, watching Mike Leigh's Life is Sweet.














Don't know if you remember, but I accosted Mr Leigh when he was here for James Roose-Evan's wonderful talk and asked him to come and tell us all about his new film soon to be released, Turner.
So in prep for his visit I suggested we watch one of his earlier triumphs.  What a great British film, in the Mike Leigh style.  He is like the Hogarth of our times; portraying the seemingly simple and mundane in a jovial manner, observing slightly annoying characters with whom you can't help engage, only to be moved to tears when their inner mosts are revealed.  He's unvarnished Capra.
Marvelous!

No comments:

Post a Comment